From 1 July 2017, early birds all around the Western Cape will be in for a treat when they tune in to 94.5KFM, to find that Liezel van der Westhuizen will be taking over the airwaves between 05:00 and 06:00 on weekdays.
Moving from her 19:00 to 22:00 time slot on a Sunday evening, Liezel is the only female personality on commercial music radio in the Western Cape at this early hour in South Africa.
Ever on the lookout for a new challenge to pursue and a true pioneer at heart, Liezel has quite a few impressive FIRSTS behind her name to boot:
- In 2011 she became the first person in the world to ride a bicycle powered by social media during the Cape Town Cycle Tour and raised bicycles for Velokhaya a charity in Khayelitsha
- In 2012 she became the first female announcer on the start&finish line of an Ironman Triathlon in the world. There are over 50 events in the world with only male announcers.
- In the same year, she also became the first female announcer at a at a Comrades Marathon start& finish line in the 91 year history of this event
- She was also the first woman in South Africa to model at Mercedes Benz Menswear fashion week
- In 2013&2014 she finished first in the Breede Summer Canoe Series – Mixed Double Division
As a fitness fanatic and sports enthusiast, Liezel’s show is said to feature music, weather, traffic updates and loads of opportunities for listeners to join fun challenges and even sign up for guided training sessions with their favourite early morning host during the day. These training sessions will be aimed mostly at beginners and are set to cover various activities – including running, canoeing, cycling and mountain biking.
Liezel’s own sporting track record is rather impressive and includes a range of feats – among others completing the gruelling IRONMAN TRIATHLON (comprising a 3.8km swim, 180km cycle and 42.2km run), the IRONMAN70.3 with a broken wrist nonetheless in 2015 and has twice completed the Dusi Canoe Marathon, which is considered the toughest canoe race in the world.
Holding a special place in her heart for the ocean, Liezel has also been certified as an advanced Nitrox Enriched Air deep-sea diver and loves exploring saltwater depths all over the world – Madagascar, the Maldives and Bali count among her favourites.
Apart from running, cycling, stand-up paddle boarding and everything in between, Liezel also nurtures a deeply soft spot for animals, especially those who have been abandoned or abused, and looks forward to sharing their stories via her Blog, hoping to inspire a culture of adoption among Capetonians. She has two adopted dogs of her own – Leia, who she found and fell in love with at the SPCA and Luke, who’s a plucky little sausage dog from Cape Dachshund Rescue (whom she rescued last week.)
Along with her brand new show, Liezel also has some exciting television work lined up, including the possibility of an appearance in a local movie later this year.
She also remains in high demand as Master of Cremonies at prestigious events, which has seen her travelling to Africa, Seychelles, UK and Bali for work.
So, if you think your mornings can do with a turbo shot of energy, zest for life and fun, be sure to tune into Liezel van der Westhuizen’s new show.
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS: